Tuesday 9 July 2013

The Emperor Wills It; a brief trip to the dark side, 40k

One out of left field today guys, just keeping you on your toes.

Yesterday a bits order I made a week or two ago arrived, and I dived right into assembling ~150 plastic pieces into 11 space marines. Yes, yes, that's right, space marines.
I guess I haven't really spelled it out on here before, but yes, I'm an ex-GW player, who moved on to the wonderful wider world of wargaming many years ago, and I've since given very few of my hard earned pesos to the evil overlords of gaming. Mostly because I just really don't like the games. Pretty models (and ugly ones), but the prices are also pretty discouraging here in Aus.
Anyway, don't worry, I'm long over the holier-than-thou anti-GW ranting phase, and while I don't play, I still follow the 40k/WFB news. Recently I've been tempted to try some skirmish 40k. Killteam-ish, but with a few more points and a few less restrictions I suppose. We'll see if this goes anywhere, it's a low priority right now.
But anyway, a few weeks ago a bits store had a sale, and I picked up a customised set of pieces to make a slightly more characterful squad of marines than the standard tactical box would allow. It only cost $60 for all 11 too, so cheap enough for me to not feel guilty about the diversion of funds.

The list is themed around an Ultramarine force in the aftermath of the Battle for Macragge - heavy casualties have forced makeshift squads made up of survivors, all of whom have seen enough combat to be considered 'veteran' in normal standards. The disorganisation and losses have made strict Codex adherence difficult, and marines like these will eventually end up forming the Tyrannic War veteran squads.
I used the Space Wolf codex for rules, simply because I like the flexibility and character it offers. In total, it's 250pts, made up of:

PA Lone Wolf - bolt pistol and power maul
10 Grey Hunters - 2x flamers, power fist, plasma pistol, mark of the wulfen, wolf standard
250pts

Enough waffling though, time for some pics. I meant to post the first half of the squad I'd assembled last night, but ended up simply building more instead of taking pics. So this post will be pic heavy, as all 10 GH are now done. The lone wolf is still in progress, needing more conversion than the rest. All of them are still 'WIP', as I will continue adding detail until I'm satisfied.

Sergeant - plasma pistol

Vexillarius - wolf standard (possibly my favourite of the lot)

Demi-sergeant - power fist

Marine - flamer

Marine - flamer (yes, yes that is a scoped flamer. Sometimes you just want to watch the Xenos burn up close)

Marine - mark of the wulfen

Marine - comms

Ordinary brothers -



Finally, wip of Brother Champion Heraklion - power maul and finger of doom

Phew, LOTS of pics. Hopefully you like what you see. I've tried to give each marine some character and personality, with bits from the standard, blood angel, dark angel, chaos and space wolf ranges, plus I plan of trying to sculpt some more details on them as well. I'm no sculptor though...

Let me know what you think. Not sure how soon I'll get around to painting these bad boys, but if people like them, it'll be that much sooner!

~ Alex/Magos

No comments:

Post a Comment