Saturday 27 July 2013

Saving the Galaxy with the Power of Mediocrity; Jacob joins the team

Sorry for the radio silence, been in the hobby doldrums a bit for the last week, struggled to find much motivation. So instead, I mostly played Counter Strike and Mass Effect 2. Oops.

I decided to break the drought tonight by painting another of my small collection of Mass Effect models, this time choosing Jacob, the perfect victim for a quick and dirty hour of work, simply because, well... he's kind of bland.


My main Mass Effect playthrough, with John 'revenant to the face' Shepard, didn't find much use for Jacob (or anyone who bothered with tricksy powers, really...), but I've gotten to appreciate him a little more in subsequent playthroughs. Still, he ranks near the top of my least favourite of the team (Samara, Thane, Kaidan...). That being said, he's still a pretty good character, can't fault BioWare for that, no sir. He just isn't a Miranda or Garrus. I will say this for him though, he has one of the best scores from the soundtrack as his loyalty mission's theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99D2BJBW_M

His uniform is, unfortunately, a subtle blend of greys, black and white, which is basically a pain to translate into 28mm. I've done my best, and I think he's come out recognisable at least.
The miniature is one of the Kev models from Hasslefree, pretty close I think, but rather short compared to other 28mm minis. He's armed with a Harrier, not a weapon he can use, but as a Cerberus agent, it still seems appropriate. Also it's one of the most deadly weapons in the game, who wouldn't use one eh?



And while this isn't new work, I painted this model before I started the blog, so I figured I'd put some pics of it up here. If I have more periods of unproductivity, I might upload some more pics of older models. So far this year I've painted 140 minis, only about half of which are on this blog.
Moving on, this model represents Shepard in his Edmonton Blood Dragon armour, which I've used on and off in game. I don't mind the armour, and this Yu Jing Hac Tao is a pretty close match. I'm happy with how it turned out, I even managed to recreate the blood dragon splatter on the chest, and the 'metallic camo' colours of the weapon, which is meant to be an M99 Sabre, a weapon I absolutely adore.





So that's it for this overdue, rambly post. I'll hopefully have more to show soon, possibly a couple of lovely Red Box minis if I get off my ass and finish basing them so I can prime them. I've also pre-ordered one of the new GW carnosaurs... I may hate the evil empire and their ways, but I can't resist a giant dinosaur. Got big plans for that model, we'll see what I can do.

~ Alex/Magos

3 comments:

  1. Can't say I ever played mass effect all the way through, I preffered fallout. But the characters look good, do you have a rules set for mass effect RPG? Or are they stand ins for another games system?

    Love to see the carnosaur mate, my dino rider roots are screaming out for me to start so lizards. You might just push me over the edge ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate, can't say I ever played any of the Fallout games all the way through, I preferred Mass Effect :P I'm working on my own rules for a Mass Effect skirmish game, for now I'm just slowly collecting and painting individual models, but eventually I want to own pretty much everything seen in the games, though finding models for some things will be a real challenge.
    I'm hoping to really go to town on the carnosaur, push my skills and try new things. Now I just need to wait for it to arrive...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic work on both figures mate. Your Hac Tao is very well done, I vote for more infinity !

    ReplyDelete