Monday 17 June 2013

Hello Kitty Headphones and a Blue Hawaiian Shirt; FCC Liaison reporting for duty

Two posts in one day, aren't I inefficient!

In today's painting progress - war gets casual!

Knocked out the FCC Liasion tonight, bit of a rush job, so he's a little sloppy, but I'm happy with him. Without getting all philosophical about the painting of mandollies, I've long ago come to accept the fact that I simply don't possess the talent of someone like Roman Lappat or Jeremie Bonamant Teboul. I enjoy painting, and like to think I'm not terrible at it, but there are limits to what I can achieve. I certainly hope to get better, I know I'm not painting as well as I was around 4 years ago, but quantity has a quality of its own, as they say. So far this year I have painted 128 miniatures. Admittedly, the majority of those are rank and file models painted in batches, but looking at my recently completed WOTR figures, I'm extremely pleased with how they look (I've got nearly 100 more waiting to get assembled and painted).
Compared to that 128 in the first six months, last year I painted... ~40-50 models, for the whole year, and most of those were a commission. The two years last year I probably painted even fewer. As a result of this lack of productivity, I have a massive backlog of projects to get through, and my miniature related ADD means I'm constantly adding to this. I LOVE gaming, despite how few games I ever get in (something else I mean to change!), so I'm always tempted to buy into whatever new range is released (Kickstarter will make me die broke and penniless I swear).
TL;DR version - not everything I paint will be super perfect when viewed under spotlights in a photo that magnifies it four times life size, and I've learned to accept that, because the payoff is getting to play with painted models, and getting to work on new projects without leaving old ones unfinished.

Feel free to comment on your own thoughts and feelings, let's get a group hug going :P

Anyway, back to tonights toy soldier: the FCC Liaison is in charge of coordinating contracts between his FCC house and the Megacons who hire them to do their dirty work. I decided to make this guy almost comically casual. In the movie version, he'd be the annoying comic relief guy who dies early. He's wearing my standard FCC desert camo, along with a blue Hawaiian shirt and some pink headphones, because he can.





C&C always welcome :)

-Alex/Magos

No comments:

Post a Comment