Sunday 16 June 2013

If a MERCS falls in a forest, does it make a sound?; first USCR fatsuit trooper

Mmm, productivity, I'm feeling it.
Managed to crank out two more shipping containers today, as well as adding some posters and graffiti to yesterdays. I'm slowly remastering the airbush, just need to use it more often I guess.
Also knocked out the first of my USCR MERCS team. I have a love hate relationship with the USCR... they're badass Russians in heavy armour, which is basically a recipe for awesome, and their art is sheer awesome, but the models... leave a bit to be desired. They certainly don't match up to the other MERCS. They're not bad, per se, they just feel super chunky and awkwardly posed, like old 90s minis.
That said, I still like them, just not as much as I would if they'd kept the more graceful feel of their art.
The default colour scheme for USCR is white armour, which I like, but I wanted to do something different, since I'm not sure I've ever seen a USCR team in anything other than white. I settled on an 'autumn forest' camo style, but halfway through was on the verge of canning that idea, the model just looked so drab in green and terracotta. I went back to the founding principle I set when starting MERCS, however, and went heavy on the contrast to try and give the model a more 'comic book' feel, and ended up being pretty happy with it. The armour ended up looking more metallic red, so now I'm thinking of painting the Behemoth as Ironman though...
Oh yes, the symbol on his loinplate - the USCR fluff mentions that the squad leader often refers to his squad as chess pieces, so I've assigned each member a piece. This guy, the Monkeywrench, is the knight.







-Alex/Magos

No comments:

Post a Comment