Saturday 28 September 2013

Ronin, Ronin, Ronin; terrain of an Oriental flavour

Oops, didn't mean to go so long without posting - I've been doing plenty of hobby, but kept putting this post off since I figured I'd wait to have more to show...
Unfortunately, no new painted models. However over the week I did manage to clean, assemble and prime:

5 man'o'war shocktroopers
5 Enforcer troops (cerberus for ME)
Black Ivan
8 Sohei figures for Ronin
10 Bandit figures for Ronin

...

Yeah, I may have bought into yet another new game. Oops. Are you surprised? Probably not if you've followed this blog at all...
A rather excellent modelling log on WAU reminded me of Ronin, which has just been released by Osprey (who also pulbished IHMN). My interest piqued, I researched the game and thought it sounded cool, and my decision was sealed when the same day, my mate Dan at Tabletop Empires got a bunch of Ronin starters in stock. I immediately ordered the rulebook and two starters, and they arrived yesterday (as always, fantastic service from TE). I'm pretty keen to play some Ronin now, since the rules seems simple yet elegant, with a unique combat system that has a bit more flexibility than a traditional 'I make X attacks, you make Y attacks' system.
Anyway, in preparation for Ronin, I got stuck into making some Japanese themed scenery. Being pretty unfamiliar with the details of Japanese architecture/culture of this period, I've relied on mimicking the look of other people's terrain for the era, and I'm fairly happy with how mine have turned out, considering the extremely low amount of money they cost (probably ~$15-20 materials for all of them). If I enjoy Ronin I'd like to build some more suitable terrain, rice paddies, walls, and some more elaborate buildings with interiors to fight in. But for now, some simple town houses and hovels will suffice.
Unfortunately, my camera struggles with photos when not in macro mode. The flash washes everything out, but without it, blurrrrrrrr. Might try some photos in the daylight and see if that makes a difference.
Pics:



Stacking buildings equals way less storage space needed! 'ent I clever.


I also put paint to a piece of Warmachine terrain I built... last year I think. Yeah, slow progress. It still needs a fair bit of detailing, and a roof, but it's getting there slowly. I should have taken a shot next to one of the Japanese buildings, which are more realistically scaled... this sucker's huge!


Anyway, thanks for reading, hopefully I'll have some painted models to show soon!
For now though, one last thing... my beloved Hawks won the grand final! Oh yeah baby, 2013 premiers!


We're a happy team at Hawthorn, we're the mighty fighting Hawks! One for all and all for one, that's how we play at Hawthorn!

Cheers, and commiserations to any Fremantle fans,
~Alex/Magos

No comments:

Post a Comment