Tuesday 3 September 2013

A Barwench, and a pile of Bones; Reaper Bones KSer arrives

I'd been planning on my next post being for another FF mini that I'm currently painting, but I didn't get it finished, and then I spent the whole day in Canberra today, seeing the Turner exhibition at the National Gallery. When I got home, I had a long awaited, and very large, box of awesome waiting for me - my Vampire pledge from the Reaper Bones Kickstarter.
So now I have ~250 new models, including the colossal dragon Kaladrax, sitting on my bed. Pics to come of the haul tomorrow, but in the meantime, I've been plucking random models out of the lot and inspecting them. I'm very pleased with the results, especially considering they cost ~$0.50c a model! The casts are good and detailed, the material is... well, not the best, but not unusable either. These are gaming pieces first and foremost, the material is quite soft, reminiscent of the cheap 1:72 airfix style plastics. That said, the models seem robust and as I said, the detail is far superior to any of those soft plastic kits. Quite a few of the models have bent weapons etc, but these should be very easy fixes using hot water.
So basically, first impressions are favourable, the models are very serviceable gaming pieces, and the huge range and dirt cheap price are great. They can't compete with the metal originals as painting pieces, but that's alright, and I'm still looking forward to painting them.

Speaking of which... I couldn't resist whipping out the brushes and testing out one of Reaper's claims about the models, that they can be painted without priming. I picked out an insignificant victim, a barmaid, and got to work.


Conclusion after the first layer - priming is still needed. Despite giving the model my usual scrub under water to remove any mold release, the paint simply did not want to stick to the bare plastic, which is what I expected really. I persevered and eventually got a decent enough coverage for a basecoat. I then gave her a wash and single layer of highlights...


She's not pretty for sure, but she'll do as an extra in an RPG scene or an objective in a skirmish game. I only spent about half an hour on her, once you ignore the drying time, so not too bad. Tomorrow I'll prime some of the other models, and maybe stress test the paint on this one to see how well it sticks...

Plenty more Bones to come, 1 down, 249ish to go...

~ Alex/Magos

No comments:

Post a Comment